Some people may have noticed a fancy looking new logo for Game of the Year that appears when you launch our latest game, FishSport. I feel that the logo featured there shows a good first attempt, but the team and I still found it a bit lacking. For that reason, I figured that I might share some of the iterative process that the logo has been going through over the last week.
Here is the logo as it appears in FishSport, without the animated spinning ring (which will apply to all of the logos)
A good start, but the hard blacks in the ring and the outline on the trophy are too hard of a contrast to the rest. Also, the font used on the trophy is too different from the font in the ring.
Which brings us to this:
A better gold gradient on the trophy and the removal of its border makes it clash less with the ring's borderless aesthetic. Also the blockier font helps with logo readability.
This version is almost identical to the previous one except that the grey in the ring is once again made slightly lighter so as to fit in more with some of the other muted colours of the logo. At this point, it's beginning to seem as though the gradient on the trophy doesn't belong, so the logo changes to this:
Flat colours everywhere makes for a much more unified look. The only question now is whether or not to keep the slight bevel on the trophy text, so I created a variant without it as well to compare.
So there you have it, how the design of a logo can change significantly through several small iterative changes. What you see here is not necessarily a final product yet, as I am sure that there may still be more tweaks to come before the team and I settle on our favourite look, but its always fun to have a process to look back on.